Thursday, October 29, 2009

Confessions of a Sugar Addict

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I have a major sweet tooth.  Doughnuts, cake, fruity candy.....are just a few of my weaknesses.  Although I have a fast metabolism and none of it makes me gain weight, I know that eating so much refined sugar is bad for my health. Learning that sugar can depress your immunity and cause the onset of diabetes and other illnesses was my wake-up call to cut back, especially considering diabetes ran in my family.

However, even after knowing all of these things I have found it so hard to get rid of this addiction.  Yes, it really is an addiction complete with a high and even withdrawal symptoms.  After doing some research, I have decided to try the following foods to help me kick this habit:

1. Nuts-- when you crave sugar, your body is telling you it wants a quick source of energy. Foods rich in protein such as nuts, will give your body what it needs.

2. Fruit--can satisfy your sweet tooth with its natural sugar and the fiber it contains will slow down the absorption of sugar in your body and keep your blood sugar from rising too quickly, which can lead to more sugar cravings.

3. Water--drinking water hydrates all of your body systems which will get rid of the desire for sugar.

4. Apple cider vinegar--helps to detoxify the body and promote digestion, which is important in curbing sugar addiction. Add 3 tablespoons to a glass of filtered water and watch your sugar cravings disappear.

I have already started using some of these foods and I am hopeful that, with time, I will no longer be a sugar addict!

1 comment:

Let me know what your thoughts are. Leave a comment!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila