Thursday, March 4, 2010

I Got Rid of My Facial Cleansers!



Okay, I did not really throw out my facial cleansers. Frankly, I have spent way too much money on them to do that. But, I probably only use them only once or twice a month now. I have switched to the oil cleansing method and it has really changed my skin's appearance for the better.

I first read about the oil Cleansing method on a forum I am a member of named, The Long Haircare Forum. There were quite a few ladies who raved about how differently their skin looked and felt after using extra olive oil and castor oil to cleanse their faces. As a person with oily skin, the idea of putting oil on my skin was not sitting well with me. In my mind, I thought that only those with a non-oily skin type could benefit from the oil cleansing method. However, some of the ladies who did have oily skin said that the olive oil/castor oil mix was the only thing that helped keep their skin free of an oily shine without over drying and free of blemishes.

You might thinks this sounds crazy but, as I did more research I found that the basic concept of this cleansing method is that the oil used to massage your skin will dissolve the oil that has hardened with impurities and found itself stuck in your pores. Yes, oil does dissolve oil so all of my fellow oily skin type ladies do not have to be afraid of using this. It takes away the excess oil and leaves your skin with the right amount of oil needed to lubricate your skin and give you that healthy glow.

To create the oil mixture you will need castor oil and extra virgin olive oil. Castor Oil has very strong anti-inflammatory properties, but is also healing and cleansing. Since Castor Oil is so thick and its cleansing properties so strong, we need to dilute it with another oil. I use extra virgin olive oil because it has nutrients and will provide the right amount of moisture. Your mixture will depend on your skin type.

• Oily Skin: Try a blend of 30% Castor Oil to 70% extra virgin olive oil.
• Balanced Skin: Try a blend of 20% Castor Oil to 80% extra virgin olive oil.
• Dry Skin: Try a blend of 10% Castor Oil to 90% extra virgin olive oil.

(*from www.theoilcleansingmethod.com)

• You'll need a soft washcloth, your oil blend, and hot, running water.

• Begin massaging the oil into your face. This will remove makeup, dirt, and other impurities, so there is no need to use a makeup remover or wash your face prior to the massage.

• Using slow, firm motions across the skin, massage the oil deeply into your pores. Take your time and focus on your problem areas.

• Once you're satisfied that your pores are saturated and you're feeling calm, pick up your washcloth and soak it in clean, steamy water. We want the water to be warm enough to open your pores and remove the oil. Cool water will not open your pores, nor will it remove the oil efficiently.

• Hold the washcloth to cover your face. Allow it to stay until it cools. You will feel your pores releasing the impurities. Wipe the oil gently away and rinse the washcloth well in hot, running water. Hold the washcloth to your face again, allowing it to cool. Wipe gently, rinse well, and repeat two or three more times.

• If your skin feels tight, take a tiny drop of your oil blend, rub it between your clean, damp palms and pat it onto your damp skin. Gently massage any oil residue into your skin so there is no film of oil left sitting on the surface. Your skin should now glow!

Of course you can vary your mixture according to what you are comfortable with. I have been incorporating the oil cleansing method into my skincare regimen for the past few weeks and I could not be happier! I have not used my regular facial cleansers in over a month and I have been getting so many compliments on the improvements in my skin.

I still find it hard to believe that something so inexpensive and simple could give me such great results. I have spent so much money on skincare lines that only left me frustrated and broke! If you are unhappy with your skin, try the oil cleansing method for a few days. You will not be disappointed!

6 comments:

  1. I luv oil cleansing! I'm going to be doing a post about it on my blog soon too. I also have oily skin and since using this method my skin is dare I say it "normal". I do not have oily skin anymore. My blend is also castor oil and EVOO. I luv it. My skin tone is much more even and glows. It's done nothing but wonders for my skin. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this once and it left my skin feeling very refreshed. I want to start doing this on a regular. It's simple and definitely affordable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I might need to try this. The dermatologist just put me on a new routine that I have to do at night but I'll try the oil in the morning. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'll admit. I'm a little skeptical, but hearing all the rave reviews, I'm going to have to try it. Question: Does using the oils eliminate the need for a moisturizer all together?

    ReplyDelete
  5. LHCF member here too...I was thinking about doing the oil cleanse method...just not sure yet. Glad to hear your results are positive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love using natural products, this is just the regimen I'm looking for. I have oily skin and the harsh ATL water dosen't help.

    Can't wait to try it and report back.


    Lukeither

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what your thoughts are. Leave a comment!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila