Monday, February 9, 2015

{Healthy Eats} Dinner, Dinner, Spaghetti Squash Winner

I finally picked up some spaghetti squash from my local grocery store.  Yay! I was searching high and low for it ever since eyeing spaghetti squash recipes on Pinterest over the past few months.

Directions:

I cut it down the middle (which proved to be a little more difficult than I thought), coated the inside of both sides of the squash with extra virgin olive oil.  Then, I sprinkled salt and black pepper on top.
I placed the squash hollow-side down and rubbed olive oil on the outside also.

Place dish in the oven (preheated at 400 degrees) for about 40 minutes.

This was my first time cooking spaghetti squash ever so, I wasn't exactly sure if it was done.  I took my fork and separated the strands carefully.

I scraped the strands out onto my plate and poured my vegetarian spaghetti sauce mix on top.  (Recipe for that coming soon).



My verdict:

It had a light taste compared to using pasta and I didn't get that "overstuffed" feeling that I usually get with pasta and spaghetti.

My only negative is that it did have that "squash" taste.  Sounds weird I know but, I have never liked squash.  It has that watery taste that I just do not care for.  I don't know what I expected spaghetti squash to taste like.  It is still squash, duh!

I think next time I will season it a little bit more to mask that taste.


Have you ever tried spaghetti squash?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what your thoughts are. Leave a comment!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila