Thursday, November 7, 2013

November is American Diabetes Month

Diabetes, "the sugar", "sugar diabetes", or whatever other nicknames are out there has become one of the most common conditions in the U.S.  As someone who has been diagnosed as pre-diabetic and has a family history of diabetes, I knew I had to highlight this month being American Diabetes month.

A few fast facts:

--Common symptoms of diabetes:
  • Urinating often
  • Feeling very thirsty
  • Feeling very hungry - even though you are eating
  • Extreme fatigue
  • Blurry vision
  • Cuts/bruises that are slow to heal
  • Weight loss - even though you are eating more (type 1)
  • Tingling, pain, or numbness in the hands/feet (type 2)
  • Sometimes, symptoms are mild and go unnoticed
--About 8.3% of the U.S. population (25.8 million children and adults) have diabetes
  •  Diagnosed: 18.8 million people
  • Undiagnosed: 7.0 million people
  • Prediabetes: 79 million people*

I have a major sweet tooth and I have had to learn (still learning) how to change what I eat so that I can properly manage my blood sugar. 

 Complications such as heart attack, stroke and kidney failure can result from allowing blood sugar levels to spike or drop too low.  Therefore, a consistent workout regimen, improved diet, and healthier lifestyle have all helped me to not have full-blown Type 2 diabetes, and over time I know that I can stay off my medication.  

Here are some of the best foods to use to control your blood sugar:

  • High fiber foods such as grapes, apples and blueberries, beans
  • Cinnamon- can help to improve blood sugar and curb cravings
  • Nuts- can lower bad cholesterol levels and balance blood sugar  

Get screened.
 It is estimated that about 7 million people have diabetes and do not know it.  Everyone should get screened for diabetes by a primary doctor or health department/ health clinic.  Diabetes, if left untreated, can cause serious complications but, if diagnosed in time, a person can live a perfectly healthy life if managed the right way.  Take charge of your health and get tested!

For more information about diabetes, where to get screened, and how you can help support diabetes research go to:



.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what your thoughts are. Leave a comment!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila