Monday, November 4, 2013

PCOS Files: Maca Root Benefits

via source

I stopped talking about my bout with PCOS (or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) here because frankly I was feeling depressed about it and I thought that talking about it too much would somehow make it all worse (sounds crazy, I know).  Plus dealing with the excess body hair in certain places (chin hair is really not cute!) and other crazy symptoms, has been annoying and I just didn't want to discuss it here out of fear of sounding like a whiner.

However, my traumatic past experience with infertility and my now increasing obsession with having a baby in the near future has made me want to revisit ways in which I can help my body regulate itself naturally.  My doctor has suggested going on birth control until I am really ready to try to conceive but, I really don't want to go that route.

 My cycles are still irregular (usually appearing once every 3 months) but, I noticed that when I workout consistently every week Aunt Flo makes an appearance every other month or even every month sometimes.  I have also started juicing almost daily and I can really tell the difference in my body.  I'm in a better mood (most days), my skin is clearer and I'm not dealing with that annoying mid-day fatigue I used to get every day (it is such a great feeling!).   I will juice 3 times a day for forever if it means I can feel like this all the time!

I am thinking of going back to using maca root powder.  I was taking it about 3 years ago and stopped because of one side effect--increased libido.  Yeah, let's just say it was too much for me and I couldn't deal with it. Ha! What a problem to have, huh?

I have been researching natural remedies for PCOS and all signs point to maca root and its benefits.  They include:




  • Support proper hormonal balance in both men and women
  • Encourage a healthy libido in both men and women
  • Support normal egg health
  • Promote normal sperm health
  • Support normal FSH levels
  • Encourages normal endometrium health
  • May be beneficial in preparation for IVF

Other facts about maca root:

Maca is a nourishing food for the endocrine system, supporting the pituitary, adrenal, and thyroid glands (all involved in hormonal balance.) Maca has the ability to assist the body in maintaining normal hormonal levels in both women and men without containing hormones itself.

Maca is beneficial in supporting reproductive health prior to becoming pregnant. It can be taken daily all month long and combines well with other herbs and herbal formulas. 



I was even watching a talk show the other day, Bethenny to be exact, and maca root powder was discussed as a supplement that every woman should take.  I've gotten all the confirmation I need! I am ordering my maca root powder this week and will just deal with the increased libido the best way I can *wink*.

If I want to get my body right to be able to have a healthy, beautiful baby one day then I will have to start doing what I can to make my body become capable of doing just that.  With the regular workouts, watching what I eat, de-stressing, and taking maca root I'm hopeful that this PCOS can be a thing of the past.  Ya'll pray for me!

Have you ever heard of maca root or taken it?

1 comment:

Let me know what your thoughts are. Leave a comment!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila