Thursday, February 19, 2015

My Version of Lent


Hey, loves!  I recently saw that it is Lent and many people are giving up something for forty days.  Some are staying away from social media, smoking, or alcohol.  Lent is supposed to be forty days of a renewal of sorts.  The idea is that through self-denial you will gain more discipline, focus and awaken your spiritual self.-- you know....like a fast.  I have never participated in Lent before but, I love the idea behind it. 

I did a food fast for 24 hours and the way I felt mentally and emotionally was something that I had never experienced before.  I have decided to take part in this forty days of renewal for the first time ever by not eating ANY candy (or sweets in general)!  You may have read my previous posts on my sugar addiction confessions but, for those who don't know....candy (sugar in general) is something that I have battled to stay away from for as long as I can remember.  So, this will be definitely be a challenge for me. 

source

The best way to abstain from anything is to find healthier things to take its place.  I have stocked up on healthier snacks so that I am not tempted to reach for a bag of Skittles or a pack of Sour Patch Kids (two of my faves when I'm having a bad day).  

I had to be serious about this so, I threw out ALL of the candy I had in the house and in the car. I'm talkin' Skittles, Laffy Taffy's, and all manners of chocolate (although fruity candy is my weakness, a Twix or Snickers can get it too *wink*).  

Then, I purchased the following:

  • dried fruit--dried mango and papaya are so good! (get the brands without any sugar added)
  • nuts (the protein will help keep you full and keep blood sugar levels stable)
  • Greek yogurt
  • fresh fruit
  • granola (organic kind)
  • fresh veggies
I'll also make more fresh juices with my juicer and make some smoothies to quell my sugar cravings.  I drink these now and they really do help when I feel like eating some cake or Krispy Kreme doughnuts.  

By the end of this 40 days, I hope to gain clarity on a few decisions I've been mulling over, and to improve physically (all of that sugar is just not good for this summertime body I've been working on during this cold winter) and most of all, spiritually. 

Are you participating in Lent?  What is something you need to give up for 40 days?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what your thoughts are. Leave a comment!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila