Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Zendaya's Locs on the Red Carpet




There has been much buzz around the comments made by Giuliana Rancic regarding Disney star, Zendaya's faux locs that she rocked to the Oscars--and rightly so.

Rancic is one of the hosts on Fashion Police, a show basically all about "jokingly" bashing what someone look from head to toe (hair included). The comment  she made that has caused a tizzy all over the media? She said that Zendaya's locs made her look like she "smelled of patchouli oil and weed."


Rancic definitely put her foot in her mouth with this uncalled for comment and while the internet went ablaze with the masses going in on the Fashion Police host, Zendaya's response was very mature to say the least:


"There is already harsh criticism of African-American hair in society without the help of ignorant people who choose to judge others based on the curl of their hair,” Zendaya wrote. “My wearing my hair in locs on an Oscar red carpet was to showcase them in a positive light, to remind people of color that our hair is good enough.”

While I don't believe this is any reason to start a riot or anything, I do think that this should bring to our attention the fact that we ALL still carry around unfair stereotypes and beliefs about others.  We sometimes say things out of jest that can be hurtful and at times even hateful.  

I wear my hair in its naturally curly state 80% of the time and I have heard all manner of craziness directed towards me about the hair that grows out of MY head naturally. While I choose to wear my hair natural because I like it, there were times where I allowed negative comments to make me second guess my decision to be au naturale. 


 I'm proud of Zendaya for being bold enough to go against the norm and rock her faux locs on the red carpet despite what society may think about it.  


Personally, I thought she looked very classy and I hope this incident will help us to pay more attention to the thoughts we hold each day and the words of hate, criticism, and downright evil that we sometimes let slip through our lips about another individual without a blink.  


What did you think about Rancic's comments and Zendaya's locs?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what your thoughts are. Leave a comment!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila