Wednesday, May 7, 2014

May is Mental Health Awareness Month

When most of us think about our health, we think about aches, pains, diseases and ailments but it can be argued that our mental health is more important than our physical health. Without a healthy mental state, we will not be able to function properly in society.  Just getting up in the morning and going about the day-to-day activities can become so difficult when one is battling anxiety, depression or any other mental health issue.

 I have dealt with episodes of anxiety and depression throughout my life and it is one of the most isolating, complex feelings.  Sometimes I would think that I could just shake it off and other times I started to wonder if I was going crazy but, it was not until I reached out for help and incorporated some natural remedies (getting more Vitamin D, exercise, etc.) that I began to see and feel some positive changes in my thoughts and life in general.  One day I will share my story of depression and anxiety (I am still debating it!), and of course, it's a daily battle and I have to consciously do things to change my perspective about life's curveballs as they arise but, I feel like I am much more prepared to deal with anything that comes my way now.  

May is Mental Health month and I could not let this month go by without acknowledging the importance of mental health and recognizing the signs of various mental health disorders.  Any mental health issues that you may be experiencing, do not take it lightly.  Things can get better and there is help out there! 

If you are having thoughts of harming yourself or feel like you just want to end it all, please talk to someone. There is a hotline you can call where trained mental health professionals are willing to give a listening ear and point you in the right direction to get more help.  Call 1-800-273-TALK

Mental Health America is a great organization committed to helping individuals understand and gain control the thoughts and feelings they struggle with everyday.  Go to www.mentalhealthamerica.net for online screenings, mental health resources and more.  As long as there is life, there is hope.  You don't have to live in a dark, isolated place.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what your thoughts are. Leave a comment!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila